Thursday 25 December 2014

3 Wise Monkeys - Senopati - Jakarta

I consider myself to be a tea person. Based on the fact that I can consume good tea cup after cup during the day. But unfortunately, there are so few great tea houses in Jakarta if I can compare to London, for example (not a fair comparison, but anyway..). Coffee is a more trendy thing to have these days. I have notice some many cool coffee houses popping up every day. It's an exaggeration, but you know what I mean... So, I determine to try those hip coffee houses at least once a week. 

The best place to start in South Jakarta of course it would be Senopati. I am quite familiar with the area so I know what to expect and many places there that I have visited but haven't had the chance to write about it. I will catch up .. I promise you. 

Driving passed Senopati, I started to enter the beginning of Jalan Suryo. I immediately spotted a new place that I almost missed. At first I thought it's a coffee house, but the security told me it's a Japanese  restaurant. A little bit baffled, but I pulled over anyway. A Japanese restaurant called '3 Wise Monkeys' .. wouldn't you be baffled too? 


First thing that I saw as soon as entered the venue was pastry corner with piles after piles of naughty stuff... Yes, I categorised rich chocolate cake, danish pastry and the rest as naughty stuff because they are hard to resist. They kind of got me addicted.. 


Oh well... I think I can leave the pastry corner for a little bit, while I check on the menu. Based on the menu it is a Japanese restaurant. I should have been convinced easily by the fact there is a Sushi cabinet and some Japanese decoration here and there, but to me it's kind of un-traditional. Maybe it was meant to be like that, out of the box concept. Ok.. let's get on with the food. 


As I have had lunch earlier that day and hoping to try out some coffee, I did not expect to have another meal, but I can't turn down the opportunity to taste good sushi. So I picked Californian Roll, Soft Shell Crab Roll, miso soup and of course lots of hot ocha to make me slightly less guilty after devouring so much food in one day. 



I have to admit, both sushi rolls were surprisingly good. Not exactly mind-blowing, but they're more than just decent. Made with good quality ingredients without trying to cut corner like most so-called sushi bars. It's not drenched in a lot of mayo too, which I do like. I love the fact that I could taste  the ingredients on every single bite of it. Even the nori was fresh and crisp too. 

I was playing it safe, it's true. To test wether or not a place is a good Japanese restaurant requires more than that. But to me, because it's a safe option, anybody should make it right. If it turned out bad I know I would not go there again. Hope you agree with me on that.. 


The miso soup was equally good. A little bit different to what I am used as they added some mushroom next to seaweed and silk tofu. It's actually worked. 

Now I got to the point that I was about to explode but, I couldn't help to try those naughty stuff I have mentioned earlier. I went all out, took a slice of chocolate cake. It's so rich it's unbelievable. But what I liked best was the fact it wasn't crazily sweet. So I could keep tucking in. The texture was perfect, it's moist with a little crunch on the top. I could taste the dark chocolate, which is a bit bitter but balance the sweetness of the cake itself. I'm in heaven. 

I must have looked like a ball at the end of the meal. Struggling to get in to the car and drive home :)
But it was all worth it as the prices are pocket friendly too.. Mission accomplished. 

3 Wise Monkeys
Jl. Suryo No. 26 Jakarta Selatan
Phone: +62 21 2912 6528
Opening hour: 11 AM - 12 PM
www.3wisemonkeys.co.id




No comments:

Post a Comment